Let’s go over the changes I made to the hot water bottle cozy from the Romantic Crochet Book.

hot water bottle cozy complete shown here on a basket with a book and some chocolates

The Book:

Two posts back I posted my first book review in well over a year. Of course, it had to be on the Romantic Crochet Book by Emma Escott. Not only have I crocheted 3 patterns from this book, but I have plans for at least 3 more.

What can I say? I thoroughly enjoy most of the projects found in its pages.

When we last spoke about the book I had not immediate concerns about the patterns. Still don’t, but I do have some changes on the hot water bottle cozy to discuss.

The pattern:

If you follow me on Instagram you might already be aware of these changes. Either way, I wanted to write them down and share my experience with you. As mentioned in the Romantic Crochet Book review, I changed the yarn and the hook size. Why? I’m on a mission to use up as much of my stash as possible. Let’s say this is an ongoing mission.

Anyway, I should start off by saying. There is nothing wrong with the pattern (at least that I found). These are just the changes I made because I worked with a different yarn from the recommended one.

The Yarn:

Ever since I saw this hot water bottle cozy pattern in the book, I wanted to crochet it up with some wooly wool. i don’t have much wooly wool left in my stash, but what I do have, gorgeous!

This cake is of yarn is very special to me. It is one of the last hand dyed yarns in @crafternoontreats woolen spun base. A truly marvelous thing. Before I wax poetic about the yarn and color. Let’s go over some basics. As mentioned the yarn is woolen spun, fingering(heavy fingering), 400meters in 100g of yarn. Because it is spun from lambswool it’s very toothy and sticks together. Additionally it is oh so warm.

Given the grabby, blooming nature of this base I knew I could use it with a 4mm hook and get a very nice fabric.

The Changes to the hot water bottle cozy:

I didn’t change the stitch count. Shocking, I know! However, because I didn’t have to change the stitch count, I grew overconfident. Meaning, I just plodded along with the pattern as written.

If you are familiar with my crochet complaints you will know that I get so involved in what I’m working on that I forget to measure.

Guess what?

My row gauge was off. No, it’s not what you think. I didn’t have to crochet more rows. Oh no. (apologies if you now have that song stuck in your head, I do).

In fact, I had to cut out a whole pattern repeat, 1 bobble row and 3sc rows!

Yes, plot twist.

How did I make the changes to the hot water bottle cozy?

Quite simple. Because I had the a similar stitch gauge, I followed the decreases outlined in the pattern. However instead of ending on a 4 bobble cluster row, I ended on a 5 bobble cluster. So, instead of paying attention to the sc count I followed the bobble placement.

Of course, this makes more sense if you’ve actually seen the pattern.

In addition to altering the decrease rounds, I completed the 3 sc rounds before starting my neck rib.

Because my row gauge was looser, I completed less rounds for the neck rib.

Out of the 100g I started out with, 15g were left over. Not bad.

Overall. I’m very happy with how the hot water bottle cozy came out. It’s very warm and pleasing to the eye.

Oh, and before I forget. I also forgot a bobble in the last row. Easily fixed by crocheting a bobble separately and then stitching it on. All captured in this reel.

Leave a Reply