The Legere headband is a crochet knot headband wide enough to protect your ears from the cold.
Inspiration & Design
The Legere headband was originally part of a 3 set commission from a February issue of Crochet Society. The theme was books and spells. Which to me can be classified as witch-core.
What springs to mind when you think witch-core? I think, potions, latin spell books, herbs, basically slow living with magic vibes. When asked to design a crochet knot headband my mind rode on the speed train to Beauty and the Beast library.
To achieve a book-like effect I went with a simple bar-like stitch. I don’t actually know the name of this stitch but I did find it in the Vogue Dictionary of crochet stitches which I’ve mentioned before on this blog.
I think crochet knot headbands are very versatile and can be crocheted with any yarn, but for this pattern, I recommend an Aran/Worsted weight yarn. In the crochet society box we used an Acrylic yarn, my first sample was with a Premier Acrylic Yarn that I purchased from Dollar Tree.
And finally, for the video tutorial, I used a 100% cotton yarn. I prefer the stitch definition that we get from the cotton yarn, but I also think that as long as you have negative ease the pattern will work with most yarns.
Can I make this crochet knot headband?
If you can work flat, make single crochets and front post double crochet stitches you most certainly can make this Legere headband. It’s a quick-ish make that would make a perfect gift for yourself or a friend. Crochet it in cotton and use it as part of a bath gift set. Use wool yarn and crochet a cowl to match.
Full Description of Pattern
The legere head is crocheted in rows and we later join and seam form a knot. This headband is a palette cleanser project perfect for gift sets, you can include it
Crochet Knot Headband / Legere
- 50g of Worsted weight yarn – Dishie from Wecrochet
- 4.5mm crochet hook – used a Furls streamline Resin
11 sts x 12 rows = 3.15″/8cm
measured over sc and
- Medium – To fit head circumference of 21.75″ (55cm)
- Large – To fit head circumference of 22.5″ (57cm)
sl st – slip stitch
ch – chain
Fpdc – front post double crochet
sc – single crochet
working in rows
working between sts
- Pattern written in US terms
- Measure from the back to make row counting easier
- Beg 1 ch does not count as a stitch
- To make the headband longer or shorter simply work more or fewer rows. Remember to account for stretch and extra rows for seaming knot
Crochet Legere Headband
- (RS): Starting in 2nd ch from hook, sc across, ch1 and turn. 11 sts
- 11 sc, ch1 and turn.
- 2 sc, *1 Fpdc around sc directly below next st in Row 1, 2 sc; rep from * across, ch1 and Turn. 11 sts
- 11 sc, ch1 and Turn.
- 2 sc, *1 Fpdc around next Fpdc, 2 sc; rep from * across. Turn.
Rep rows 4–5 until there are a total of 75 (79) rows.
Once the crochet is finished we are going to join the headband and create the knot.
Crochet Knot headband
Fold last 4 rows lengthwise to have WS tog. Whip stitch these 4 rows tog. Seam will be along long edge, short edge will be folded.
Bring short ends tog to form a circle with the headband, being careful not to twist.
Place one corner of un-joined short end through the space/fold
formed by your whip stitches from the RS to the WS of the headband.
Bring the other un-joined corner under the space/fold and whip stitch the short edges together. Knot formed
Now, we can secure the knot with a couple of stitches and weave in the ends.